If you liked this video, make sure you’re subscribed to receive one video a week + exclusive discounts in your inbox!
Okay, so now it’s YOUR turn. I want you to tell me in the comments below which website you set up using this video.
Step 1: Buy a Domain using Namecheap
- Go to NameCheap and type your domain in the search bar. Namecheap will tell you if it’s available or not.
- If it’s available, go ahead and click Add to Cart and then View Cart. Your purchase includes the domain, which is typically ~$10 including the ICANN fee.
- Namecheap also gives you a free WhoIsGuard subscription for every new domain you purchase. This subscription is free for the first year and only costs about ~$2.88 subsequently.
- Before you confirm your order, you can use a discount coupon to further reduce the price by a few dollars. To do this, go to Retail Me Not ( a coupon site) and click on a Namecheap coupon to use. Most coupons are updated monthly and it’s likely you’ll find one to use at the beginning of the month rather than later. Copy the coupon code and go back to your Namecheap cart.
- Paste the coupon code in the Promo field of your Namecheap cart. If your coupon is successful, you’ll see it reflected in the price, which will immediately drop lower.
- Click Confirm and fill out your Payment details. You can use PayPal or your credit/debit card to make the payment.
- Once your order is confirmed you’ll receive an email with your domain details. Scroll up to the main menu to where it says HI [username] and from the drop down menu, click on ‘Manage Domains”.
- On the Manage Domains page, find and click on your newly registered domain. The system will prompt you to fill out registration details for your site such as name, address, email, etc. Go ahead and do that.
- From the left sidebar, Click on “Transfer DNS to Webhost”. This will take you to a page to fill out DNS (domain name system) information. We will leave Namecheap open on this tab and return to it once we have purchased hosting so we can put in the DNS server names here.
Step 2: Get Hosting from Bluehost
- Go to Bluehost and click Get Started Now to make an account.
- I recommend that you choose the Plus Plan which costs $6.95/month at the time of this writing. You get unlimited space and unlimited websites with this plan, which makes it a really good deal.
- Since you’ve already purchased a domain name, go ahead and click on “I have a domain name” and put in the name you just registered.
- Once you’ve completed all payment details, you can log in to your account (I couldn’t show buying the hosting since I already have an account, but the process is just like Namecheap’s – just buy hosting using your credit/debit card or PayPal and it’s instantaneous).
- As soon as you log in, you’ll be taken to the home screen. From the top menu, click “Domain”, wait for the new screen to load and then click “Assign” from the sub-menu.
- Assigning the domain name is a quick 4-step process. In Step 1, put in the domain you want to assign and let the system verify it.
- Once your domain is verified, Step 2 will give your nameservers to point your domain to. At this point you want to back to the Namecheap page you left off at, and go ahead and cope/paste both nameserver details into the field on Namecheap.
- In steps 3 and 4, leave the default settings for add-on domain, directory and sub-domain.
- Scroll up the top menu and from the top menu click Domains > Domain List. This page will show you the registration details of your newly hosted website.
Congratulations, you have now purchased a domain and hosted it on a web server!
Total Cost = ~$10 (for domain via Namecheap) + ($6.95 x 12) (for a 1 year BlueHost subscription using the Plus Plan)
Total Cost = $10 + $83.4 = $93.4 for your own website for 1 year!
Step 3: Install WordPress with One-Click (FREE)
- Log in to your Bluehost account and click Hosting from the top menu.
- Scroll down to the Website section and click “Install WordPress”
- Click Install again on the site when it asks you if you want to do a free WordPress install.
- Type in the domain you want to install WordPress on. The system will check and verify the domain.
- Click the checkbox next to Terms and Agreements to how that you agree and click Install Now
- WordPress will start installing. This process will take a few minutes depending on your internet speed. Look at the green progress bar at the top to see your install progress.
- Once installed, click View Credentials and then scroll down and click View again. This will bring up your administrative information for your WordPress account. You’ll be able to see the URL, your username and a system-assigned password. Use these credentials to log in to your new WordPress website!
Step 4: Customise the Look and Feel of your Website
- Log into your WordPress back-end by using your admin password. You will now be in the WordPress dashboard with a menu on your left.
- Click Appearance > Themes from the left menu.
- Scroll down to the big + button that says “Add New Theme”. Click it.
- Type the name of your theme into the search bar OR alternatively search WordPress’s theme directory for thousands of customizable themes for free!
- In your WordPress dashboard, choose a theme, click Install and then click Activate on the next screen.
- Once it’s installed click Customize. Type in the new site title and tagline and click Save.
- At this point some themes allow you to choose a number of customizable options, such as color schemes, fonts, and much much more. If you are a designer you can customize your site yourself. If you like an existing theme’s graphics, you can use them. If you’d like to hire a web designer to design your website, you can do that too. You can also purchase paid themes that allow more custom support and options.
Step 5: Write your First Blog Post
- On your WordPress dashboard look at the top bar where it says + New. Click + New and choose Post from the drop-down menu. This will open up WordPress’s editor for you to type.
- Write your headline and the body of your blog post.
- Click Insert Media to insert an image to go along with your post.
- On the right hand sidebar, you can add Categories, and Featured Image to make your post look attractive.
- Click Publish.
- You’re done! View your new post on your new website by clicking on the Home icon and then Visit Site from the WordPress dashboard menu.
Aaand you’re done!