Upcycling Service Salma Jafri
Upcycling is when you convert content from one format to another (such as from a text blog post to a video) for the purpose of adding value and bringing that piece of content into circulation again.
Upcycling content has SOOO many benefits.
1. It allows you to free your time to focus on what you do best: create original content that establishes you as an authority in your niche.
2. It’s super fabulous for SEO. Now instead of just text results, you can get your content showing up for video results, podcast results, image results and more. It’s like you just 10-xd your content!
3. It’s amazing for extended reach. If 10 people love your content, what are the chances that a 100 more will like it too? 1000 more? Tens of thousands more? But those people are not finding your content because you’re focusing on creating more content rather than promoting what you’ve already created. With upcycling, your content works harder for you so that more people who need to see your message, actually get to see it.
4. It’s perfect for extended visibility without being annoying. It allows you to promote your work without being repetitive or spammy. Each piece of upcycled content creates perspective and puts your message in a different dress. I call it the “dressing up” strategy. You dress differently for each occasion you attend, so why not dress up your content to attend a different social network’s party?
5. It allows your audience to choose to consume your content in their preferred format. Some people like to read. Others like to watch. Still others prefer to listen. By upcycling your content into many different formats, you cater to your audience in the way they choose to consume content.
The best types of content to leverage for upcycling are:
1. Evergreen content. Content that has staying power tends to do well with multiple versions because all those different pieces of content contribute to keeping your business and brand at the forefront.
2. Series content. Content that builds upon another does amazingly well in upcycling. That’s because serialised content is easy to package up and adds continuity and flow to your work. For example, a series which teaches beginners how to set up a blog can be packaged into an ebook for handy reference.
3. Authority content. Content that includes your expert opinions, is beneficial to upcycle because it helps build your brand exponentially. It’s like branding on steroids. With upcycled authority content, suddenly you *appear* to be everywhere, all at once!
Invest in creating your best content. Upcycling works best when there’s strong core (original) content to work with. If you can make the original piece your star piece, then creating additional messaging from within that is not only easier, it packs more momentum too. Think of your core content as the hub of a wheel, and all your upcycled pieces of content as the spokes that make the wheel turn. All spokes lead back to the hub. All your upcycled pieces tie in to your bigger narrative, which is your core messaging. Strive to make your core content as in-depth and power-packed as possible for best results during upcycling.
For the beta version (now till Dec 2016) of this service, we will strive to complete each upcycling project within 5 working days. We recommend that you submit all 4 pieces of content at the beginning of the month (or whenever your beginning is), and within 5 days, we’ll send the upcycled content back to you so you have 4 weeks of content ready to schedule out and distribute on all your channels.
You can send us links to privately published content (blog posts or YouTube videos) or a google docs sheet containing your content. Once you sign up for the service, you will receive a form in which to input this information.
A mini e-book is typically 10-20 pages, with each page being a standard ~300 words. Included with this ebook, will be a cover page, a disclaimer, a table of content (ToC), headers and footers, formatted content, heading and sub-headings, any relevant images (stock images as well as illustrations to depict processes or concepts), pullout quotes (if applicable), a CTA and your contact details.
Each ebook will be delivered in PDF format and you can request 1 revision. We’ll incorporate any branding elements you provide.
A lead magnet or content upgrade is a document used to give an incentive to people to sign up or subscribe to your offer. The best lead magnets tend to be short and actionable, such as a quick cheat sheet, or reference guide, or checklist, or list of resources. A lead magnet is typically used at the top of the funnel, meaning it is used to convert people randomly browsing your content into subscribers.
A content upgrade is typically tied in to a specific piece of content and is used to convert specific readers (of that particular content) into subscribers. A content upgrade is always related to 1 specific piece of content.
A lead magnet can be related to the general theme of your blog. You can test multiple lead magnets to see which one performs the best, while you can use content upgrades every month to keep readers signing up to your email list. In fact, the bloggers who grow substantial traffic to their blogs attest to the magic of content upgrades!
The lead magnet or content upgrade we deliver to you will, in most cases, be a 1-3 page formatted PDF document. We’ll incorporate any branding elements you provide.
Guest posts are a great strategy to build your audience by leveraging another blogger’s (typically larger) audience. They work well because you give value to another blogger in exchange for the opportunity to speak to their audience.
When we write a guest post for you, we keep the following factors in mind:
1. Research the guest blog to see what type of content typically performs best
2. Match the tone of the guest post to the blog’s current tone so it’s a seamless fit and highly likely to be accepted
3. Deliver value in terms of key take-aways
4. At least 1 in-content link to related content on your site, so that you get relevant traffic to your site
5. An author bio clearly incentivising people to check out your site or download your freebie
According to the Content Marketing Institute, presentations are some of the most under-utilised tools in your content arsenal. The power of presentations is that they can present complex ideas in an attractive visual format. They can also be embedded with different types of content, such as within a blog post, inside an email, uploaded to your LinkedIn profile, within your video as a slide series, as part of your online course, inside your webinar and so much more!
We will create simple, yet attractive presentations for you using Google Slides or HaikuDeck (or similar software). The presentations will typically be 20-30 slides and contain key concepts extracted from your core content. Each presentation will include a cover slide and any branding elements you provide.
One of the best ways to strengthen and deepen your relationship with your subscribers is to send them regular emails that catch their interest. Most often your audience will miss some or all of your social media posts due to conflicts in schedules and timings and news feed algorithms, but an email is almost guaranteed to directly reach your recipient. And so even if you’re very active on social media, your best bet to get your content seen is still via email.
Depending on the email provider you use, we’ll upcycle your core content into an email update incorporating what’s new in your niche (or new with you) over the last 4 weeks. We’ll ask you for a few samples of previous emails so we can match your tone, style and length and take it from there! And yes, we’ll include a powerful headline you can use to build curiosity.
Multiple tweets pointing to the same content are a powerful way to attract more followers. But they are an even more powerful tool to find the best-performing headline! With each new tweet you get the opportunity to see which perspective attracts more of your audience. Then you can change the headline of your core content to the best-performing tweet.
Each tweet we craft for you will look at your content from a slightly different perspective. This way you increase your chances of discovery.
Wherever possible, we’ll try to extract relevant images from your content. So for example, if you have a video, we’ll create a thumbnail image for you. Or if you have a blog post outlining a 1-2-3 step process, that could easily be conveyed with a quick illustration.
Another great idea for images are quote cards – an inspirational quote pulled from your core content and placed on your branding elements. If we can’t find a relevant quote from your core content, we can pull quotes from The Massive Internet Quotes Database (kidding, I made that up – we’ll just do a google search) and place it with proper attribution and your branding.
When all else fails, there’s always stock images. We use sites such as Unsplash, Pixabay, 500px, Wylio and so many more! Images will be optimised for the platform you choose to display them on (for example, square for Instagram, vertical for Pinterest, etc).
Ah, the holy grail of content! If the blog post is a story post, then it will start with a hook – a story element that tells the reader the current problem or challenge. It’ll then flow into a problem-solution-CTA framework. Unless it’s a list post. Then it’ll be a list. Or it could be a simple How-To post. It obviously all depends on the kind of content you provide, but be assured that we’ll create a blog post style to match your core content.
Each blog post will contain the following elements:
– Scannable for quick readability
– Headings and sub-headings, as appropriate
– Formatted for ease of reading
– Supplemented with images where appropriate
– Bullets and lists, where appropriate
– Easy, conversational language
– Writing tone that matches your other content
– A wrap-up para
– A CTA (Call-to-action)
Extracting audio from a video file is an excellent use of upcycling. Thanks to the podcasting explosion, audio is HUGE. Then there’s audio books, and narration by an author – all items that add a certain exclusivity factor to your content and give your audience a more intimate way to connect with you.
We’ll optimise and extract audio from any kind of video file and deliver it to you in any format you want (such as MP3, wav, wmv, etc). Wherever possible, we’ll also enhance your audio to be as clear and impactful as possible.
Look, you already know that video is huge. But Facebook Video is where it’s at right now for short, highly consumable content that is a sharing magnet.
The video we edit for your Facebook Page or Group, will be 2 minutes or less and designed to be consumed and shared easily. Example content includes a key point in your core video with a link to watch more. Or perhaps an intro section inviting your audience to know more. Or even a funny episode or blooper that’s just entertaining to watch. Either way, your video will deliver a value bomb.
Over 85% of viewers view Facebook videos with the sound off. Because we want your video to be consumed in it’s entirety, we’ll either:
1. Create a text-only video, depending on your core content OR
2. Create a talking-head video with captions so people can read along and still find value in the content
Bonus tip: you can then use the video we create for you as a Video Ad on Facebook 😉 Upcycling 10x!
In 2016, Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, increased it’s video upload capacity to 60 seconds (from 15 seconds). Since then you’ll find that savvy entrepreneurs are using Instagram videos to stand out in the news feed and leverage the power of a 1-min video.
We’ll create a short and if possible, entertaining clip, from your core content that you can then upcycle to Instagram.